A chunky blend of harvest ingredients make up a special mid-week soup. Add some warm, crusty bread for the perfect hearty dinner.
Cheesy Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder Video
- 3 strips flavored bacon like applewood
- 3-4 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into a ¼- to ½-inch chunks
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 4 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 3 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar
- Toasted nuts and red apple slices, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan or stockpot with Teflon™ nonstick coating, cook bacon over medium heat until tender; remove, drain, chop; set aside.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings until tender.
- Add sweet potatoes, corn, and vegetable or chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Puree half the soup in a blender and return to the pot. Add cheese and stir to melt.
- Ladle into bowls, add bacon, garnish, and serve.