This is a so-called quick bread as baking soda, not yeast, does the leavening that yields a dense, sweet loaf for breakfast or dessert. Have all ingredients set out and ready to go before starting. Delish spread with whipped cream cheese.
Date-nut Chocolate Bread
- 1 level cup pitted chopped dates
- ¾ cup water
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Boil water; remove from heat; add dates to soak and cool 30 minutes.
- Sift flour with baking soda and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter fluffy on medium speed.
- Gradually add sugar until mix is creamy and light 1-2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, just to blend.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the dates in water.
- Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with Teflon™ nonstick.
- Bake 50 minutes until tester in center comes out clean.
- Cool loaf on a wire rack 30-40 minutes.
- Turn out of pan.
- Sprinkle top of loaf with powdered sugar.
- Slice and serve.