This winter soup is almost as easy to prepare as the summer Italian salad that gave the soup its name!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar or to taste (optional)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearl size mozzarella, or shredded
- Reduced balsamic vinegar (glaze)
- In a soup pot with Teflon™ nonstick coating, heat oil over medium-low.
- Sauté the garlic until it's fragrant—about 40 seconds—but not browned.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, and basil. Stir in broth.
- Cook 20 minutes to deepen the flavor.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender.
- Transfer to bowls. Top with the tiny Mozzarella balls or shredded cheese
- Place bowls in microwave 30 seconds to melt the cheese.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top and serve.