Poaching eggs in tomato sauce instead of water offers flavor and looks to weeknight dinners or brunch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bulbs garlic, minced
- ½ cup champagne, white wine, or chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups (canned) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- ½ teaspoon (or more) crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 eggs
- Grated Italian cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a skillet coated with Teflon™ nonstick coatings.
- Lightly brown garlic on medium heat; add the ½ cup of champagne, white wine, or chicken broth and cook 2 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add tomatoes, herbs, and pepper flakes.
- Lower heat; simmer and cook 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Crack each egg into the sauce.
- Add cheese and parsley.
- Cover and simmer 6 minutes until whites turn opaque and the become yolks shiny orange.
- Score the sauce with a spatula and remove portions to individual serving plates.