These minty drops—crispy on the outside, marshmallowy on the inside—melt on your tongue. Use the cleanest tools and make sure that not a drop of yolk falls into the whites. You can use a tablespoon or use a piping bag to drop the batter onto a baking sheet.
Minty Meringues Video
- 4 large cold eggs, separated
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar, superfine is recommended
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Gel food color(s) of choice
- Preheat oven to 225 °F (107 °C).
- Put egg whites in a large bowl and allow to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Sprinkle cream of tartar over the egg whites. Beat on low until frothy; increase the speed to medium-high and slowly add sugar, continuing to beat until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Brush inside of piping back with food gel to create stripes. Fill bag about half way with the egg whites and twirl closed.
- To make drops, hold bag ¼-inch from the baking pans coated with Teflon™ nonstick, squeeze gently as you pull up and then releasing. Use a star tip to make swirls.
- Oven dry for 45-50 minutes. Turn off the oven and keep the door closed for at least 2 hours.
- Slide the dried meringues off the pans and serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.