Beef ribs with bone-in for flavor, are cooked stovetop in a Dutch oven. Serve over noodles, creamy grits or whipped potatoes.
Spicy Short Ribs
- 2 lbs. trimmed 2-3-inch (butcher-cut) beef short ribs
- Kosher salt, cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups diced butternut squash
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) pearl onions
- 1½ cups dry red wine (substitute tomato juice)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Zest of 1 orange, cut into wide strips
- Thyme and rosemary sprigs
- 1½ cups beef stock or broth
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 5-quart Dutch oven coated with Teflon™ nonstick.
- Season ribs with S & P.
- Add ribs to hot oil, browning all sides; remove to a plate.
- Stir in squash and onion; brown lightly.
- Deglaze with wine, shuffling up browned food bits.
- Add chili powder, cinnamon sticks, orange zest, herbs.
- Cook on gentle until wine reduces by half, about 15 minutes.
- Return ribs to pot, flat bone-side up to cook the meat.
- Add stock to cover ribs; more later if needed to cook covered.
- Add pot lid; bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to low; cook 2 hours until meat is pull-apart tender.
- Discard cinnamon sticks and serve.